October 5th, 2013 marked the 10th Annual Hispanic Choice Awards in Philadelphia, the city’s premier Hispanic event. While the awards celebrates “leaders from all industries..and highlights the robust and influential Hispanic presence in the Philadelphia region,” this year, public servants shared the spotlight. The above video highlighted the City’s Hispanic public servants along with a presentation from the Director of the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant and Multicultural Affairs, Jennifer Rodriquez. Among other City officials who spoke was Managing Director/Deputy Mayor Rich Negrin.
The Hispanic Choice Awards was established in 2004 with only 32 attendees. Ten year’s later, the awards were held at the Merriam Theater with over 1000 people in attendance. The awards were first broadcast on television in 2012.
While public servants were honored at this year’s event, below is a list of the 2013 HCA winners:
- JUNTOS for Community Advocate of the Year
- Denise Frohman for Creative Artist of the Year
- Reverand Luis Cortés for Lifetime Achievement Award
- Tony Rocco for Education Champion of the Year
- Ricardo Maldonado for Business Person of the Year
- Philadelphia Phillies for Corporate Partner of the Year
- Eddie Palmieri for Living Legend Award
This year’s HCA Awards celebrated Philadelphia’s growing, vibrant Latino community. Congratulations to all of the winners and thank you to all of the public servants who were highlighted at the event.