Philly311 Hack: Illegal Dumping vs. Maintenance Residential

PhillyRising Video (2)

The classification for misplaced waste can get a little tricky. Here’s how to tell if you should file an Illegal Dumping or Maintenance Residential complaint:

Illegal Dumping refers to waste that is inappropriately placed in the public right-of-way. This includes streets, parks, and other public property. If someone places his/her trash along side of your trash in the street, the complaint will be filed as Illegal Dumping. This complaint is handled by the Streets Department.

Maintenance Residential refers to waste that is inappropriately placed on private property. This complaint is handled by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.

*If you are calling Philly311 about either of these two complaints, you are encouraged to share as much information as possible regarding the source of the misplace waste. This can include a license plate number, a car model, or a description of an individual. This information will be passed along to the Police Department. If such information is not included, the waste will be dealt with by the proper department but the perpetrator will not be identified.

**Another Philly311 Hack is to download the Philly311 Mobile App. While the actual contact center is open from 8:00am -8:00pm on Monday-Friday’s, the mobile app allows you to enter service requests 24 hours a day. Download the Philly311 Mobile App here, and follow @MOBI311 on Twitter for tips.

We hope this tip helps!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s